This post has nothing to do with design, besides the fact that this little Cookie Monster looks really cute walking around my house! I had a couple of people ask for instructions on how the costume was made. Then, my friend Kelli at The Turquoise Piano suggested that I post and link up Stella's costume, so here it is! My sewing skills are quite pathetic, and I don't own a sewing machine, so this is an easy project. I got the idea over a year ago from some similar costumes I saw on Etsy. I wanted to wait until this year, because Stella couldn't walk last year, and the costume would have been a disaster on a crawler! Plus, she is obsessed with Sesame Street, so it was extra fun that she enjoyed being Cookie!
I used about 3 yards of tulle and 1/2 yard of matching fabric for the lining. My SIL Emily sewed the tulle onto the lining for me (three layers of tulle). We also used elastic across the chest. The lining is just a simple a-line shape. The costume hits Stella about mid-calf.
The straps are grosgrain ribbon. I stitched the ribbon to the front of the main piece making sure they were close enough together that they wouldn't slip off of Stella's shoulders. I sewed two metal clasps (a loop and a hook clasp) in the back of the costume, and their counterparts on the two pieces of ribbon. I hand stitched more of the feather boa across the top of the dress.
See, I told you it was easy! Here's a list of where I'm linking, check them out: