Monday, April 8, 2013

My Top 3 Design Tips

You know how you sometimes hear that there are no rules in design--that you should just do what you like? Well, it's kind of not true. There are rules, it's just that you're not going to get in trouble if you break them (unless you are in my family, then you'll definitely get in trouble). If you follow these "rules", your house, your eyes, and myself will thank you. Most design "rules" are all about scale and space and have nothing to do with style or taste. It's all about taking your home to the next level, which we all want to do, right?  Here are my top three design tips:

1| Rethink Furniture Placement: Try floating your furniture instead of pushing it up against the walls. This creates a more intimate setting and puts you in control of your room layout. Even in a small room, where the size is conducive to  creating an appropriately sized conversation area, pull your furniture slightly away from the walls and/or (especially) windows. Remember, the whole purpose behind your furniture layout is to create a comfortable gathering area.
image from Caldwell Flake
2| Buy Long(er) Curtains: The length of your curtains is SO important! Unfortunately, most "off the rack" curtains are 84 inches. I hate to break it to you, but 84 inches is never long enough. How curtains hang on the floor depends on fabric, style, and preference. But, how HIGH the curtains hang should always be well above the window. Additionally, curtains should always flank the windows as much as possible. The illustration below does a perfect job of showing what a HUGE difference curtain placement makes. Let the light in and maximize the height of your rooms!
image from Me Oh My
image from Real Simple
3| Use the Right Size Rug: There's not just one rug size that works for every room, just make sure your rug is BIG enough. Using a rug that is too small can make the room look closed in and make the scale all wrong. Ideally, the rug is either big enough for all of your furniture to fit on (which can be super pricey), or the outside perimeter of the rug follows closely to the inside perimeter of your furniture. Remember, rugs should anchor the room. There you have it, my top three tips that will make a HUGE difference! Now, let's go buy new rugs, curtains, and, what the heck, new furniture!
image form Alice Lane

8 comments:

  1. Your tips are super simple but ones that I would have never thought to use! Especially the pulling the furniture away from the wall! I will have to institute a few of these when Clint and I decorate our new home!

    xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete
  2. urgh....like you said- most curtains are 84"....and we def already hung them the "not" way :( double urgh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great tips and so agree with all of these. Draperies hung high make the biggest difference!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great tips and I never thought about the drapes, but it does look so much better in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips, and easy to implement. I fear what the kids and cats have rendered behind the furniture against the wall, but I'll be brave and pull them away! We had an area rug that was too big for the room, and it became quite a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips! You will be one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button! Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. wish that top pic was a view of my living room:) nice tips

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting with my Friday Flash Blog community. I'm highlighting your submission this Friday and, of course, giving you credit with a link. See you this Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, it makes my day! If you have a question, I will answer it in the comments section as soon as I can. You can also email me at jamiejjoyal@gmail.com.