Thursday, April 14, 2011

[so cheap, so easy]: By Sadie Jane

I'm so excited to have Sadie from {simply sadie jane} guest post today! Sadie is energetic, talented, beautiful and has an adorable baby girl! Though this might be a [so cheap, so easy] project, it's not a quick project, but the time is worth it! (Easy for me to say, since I wasn't the one who made it!)
Hello all you wonderful, beautiful KREYV readers!! I'm Sadie from{SIMPLY SADIE JANE}. I'm a Labor and Delivery Nurse turned stay-at-home mom who loves everything from fitness, sewing, fashion, crafting and everything in between. To learn more about me go{HERE}.
The sweet Jamie has asked me to come on over and show you all my Rosette Lamp Shade tutorial. I made this Lamp Shade for my master bedroom that I am completely remodeling! Now let's get down to business! Wanna make one of these!?!
I just LOVE how the light shines through.

YOU READY TO GET STARTED?

YOU WILL NEED
*2 lamp shades {size and shape doesn't matter} I got my lamp shades at Walmart 2 years ago when Jeff and I first got married. I am pretty sure they still have them. They are perfect for this project. A simple yet classy base and they are very cheap.
*Hot glue gun
*Package of glue sticks
*Scissors
*2 kinds of simple cotton fabric, each 1/2 yard in size {remember you don't have to use cotton fabric and you don't have to do 2 different colors} This look would look great with any kind of fabric or color...however this cotton fabric was the cheapest. If silk fabric wasn't so expensive I would have done them with that!
{the lamp shade before}

Disclaimer: there are a lot of different ways to make fabric rosettes but this is the way I do it...feel free to make your rosettes the way that works best for you!

Fold out your fabric and cut 1 inch slits along the edge of your fabric. For the big rosettes on the lamp shade you will need a 3 foot long strip of fabric. Once you have measured your fabric and cut the excess off you are ready to RIP your strips. I don't cut my fabric because I like the frayed edge look. You will have a lot of little fabric strings that come off when you rip it. I usually just pull the ones off that are bunched and hanging but I keep some of them on the fabric while making the rosette because it gives it a shabby look.
All your strips once your done ripping.
Tie a knot in the middle of your strip of fabric.
Put one of the sides of fabric under your hand...you will use that later...but you will only wrap one side at a time. Place a thin line of hot glue on the side of the knot. Then start twisting the fabric and press it against the hot glue.
It doesn't look like much at the beginning but if you continue around the edge of the knot it will slowly turn into a rosette. Once one side of the fabric is completely wrapped grab the other strip that is now hanging down below your rosette and wrap that one around the knot just like the first strip.
Tip: Make sure you place your hot glue more towards the back of the rosette and when you start wrapping place the fabric OVER the glue...that way you won't see any of the glue. Once your done turn it over and place glue on the back. Immediately place it on your lamp shade.
So I completed a whole row of turquoise rosettes, placed it by my bed to see how it looks and realized I HATED it! So...I used all my muscles {and my husbands} and ripped off ALL my hard work. Dried hot glue doesn't come off easy...I didn't really know what I wanted my design to look like so I just kinda came up with it as I went... which I don't recommend. I made dark grey ones the same size as the turquoise.
Then I used a light grey fabric and made my smaller rosettes. These rosettes were only 1 1/2 foot long. This time I tied the knot at the END of the strip inside of the middle. Using the same wrapping method as before. make your smaller rosettes. Depending on the size of your lamp make tons and tons and tons of rosettes!
There you have it!
Remember to check out my other tutorials for the room.
Anthropologie inspired bedding {HERE}
Feather wreath vamp-up {HERE}
Candle stick makeover {HERE}
If any of you have questions feel free to email me. Hope you all have a wonderful day. Come on over to my {blog}, become a follower and look around in my {simply delicious} life. Thanks again Jamie for having me over to this beautiful blog.

XOXO
Sadie Jane

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Each person's can look completely different and personal with the endless shapes of lampshades, colors and textures of fabric. Browsed the other ideas on Sadie's website--she is talented!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, it makes my day! If you have a question, I will answer it in the comments section as soon as I can. You can also email me at jamiejjoyal@gmail.com.